Michelle Wie Apology

Michelle Wie Apology - Michelle Wie said Annika Sorenstam apologized to her for comments she made in an interview with Golf Magazine.

"She actually reached out to me last night, said a couple of things got misquoted," Wie said Thursday after her first round in the Kraft Nabisco Championship. "I thought that was really nice of her to reach out to me. She apologized for what she said, and that's that."

Sorenstam's comments appear in a question-and-answer story in the magazine's May edition.

"I didn't read it, so I don't know what she said," Wie said when asked how Sorenstam could be misquoted in a question-and-answer format.

The former child prodigy, now 23, has mostly struggled since winning the 2010 Canadian Women's Open for the second of her two LPGA Tour titles. In five events this year, she has missed three cuts and also played poorly in two no-cut events in Asia.

She shot an even-par 72 on Thursday at Mission Hills and has broken 70 only once in 15 rounds this season, closing with a 69 in Singapore after a third-round 77.

"What I see now is that the talent that we all thought would be there is not there," Sorenstam is quoted as saying of Wie in the magazine article.

The Hall of Famer also pointed at Wie's appearances in men's tournaments as a possible reason for some of her struggles.

"I don't think it helped her career," Sorenstam said. "I think we see some of it today. I think she jumped in way too deep, and I think it had some tough consequences for her."

Sorenstam was asked if Wie could still become the best player in the world.

"She has a long way to go, let's put it that way," Sorenstam said. "There was a time when the LPGA really needed her. I thought she had a lot to bring to the table. Now she's one out of many."

Source: espn